[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: WAI 0.3.1, Warp 0.3.1, wai-app-static 0.0.0 and warp-static 0.0.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Jan 27 18:26:51 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

Firstly, after some feedback, I'm releasing some point updates for WAI
and Warp. They fix some documentation issues, add some status aliases,
make it possible to handle exceptions more easily, and make things
more responsive on Windows.

Next, I'm releasing two new packages: wai-app-static is a static file
serving application for WAI. It handles all of your basic needs in
this department:

* Proper 301 requests to fix trailing-slash issues for folder vs directory.
* Directory listing support (if turned on), including a default
listing function that uses Haskell colors and a Haskell logo in the
corner. Thanks to Happstack for the basis of this code.
* Directory index support (eg, index.html, index.htm), again configurable.
* Mime type lookups. Thanks to Snap for this table.

warp-static is simply a standalone executable that runs wai-app-static
on the Warp webserver. The executable name is warp. I know I
personally have needed such a light-weight web server at work a few
times, so if nothing else, putting it on Hackage is a convenience for
me :-).

I hope people find these useful. Don't expect the performance to beat
nginx, but it is still quite good. if there are any other features
requests on any of these packages, let me know.

Michael