[Haskell-cafe] GPL License of H-Matrix and prelude numeric

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Jan 26 08:11:53 CET 2011

David Leimbach <leimy2k at gmail.com> writes:

> BSD3 doesn't really state anything about what it links with, but the GPL
> injects itself into the tree of stuff it's linked with via the derivative
> works clause.

I'm not an IP lawyer either (thank God), but merely using a published
interface does not make it a derivative work.  So IMO there's no problem
with a GPL library making use of a BSD library, nor vice versa - just
like I can write a BSD program and run it on (GPL'ed) Linux and libc.

> The consequence is that the entire derivative work becomes
> GPL'd as well,

Only if you incorporate GPL code - and it doesn't have to be GPL, only a
license that is GPL compatible (prevents any redistributer from
preventing recipients from modifying the code).

-k