[Haskell-cafe] Monad transformer: apply StateT to List monad

michael rice nowgate at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 01:38:31 CET 2011

Hi Daniel,

What I need to see is a function, say g, that lifts the function f (in the List monad) into the StateT monad, applies it to the monad's value, say 1, and returns a result [0,1].

Or, alternatively, code that lifts a function in the State monad, say tick

import Control.Monad.State

type GeneratorState = State Int

tick :: GeneratorState Int
tick = do n <- get
          put (n+1)
          return n

into the ListT monad and applies it to a list, say

lst = [0,1,2]

producing [(0,1),(1,2),(2,3)].

Both would be very helpful. Or maybe I'm missing the concept of monad transformers altogether and putting them together improperly, like trying to use a spreadsheet to write a letter?

Michael