[Haskell-cafe] HDBC, postgresql, bytestrings and embedded NULLs

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sat Jan 8 17:55:03 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 09:49 AM, John Goerzen wrote:
>>
>> On 01/07/2011 05:24 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Iustin Pop<iustin at google.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, I had a bug reported in persistent-postgresql that I traced back
>>> to this bug. I reported the bug, but never heard a response. Frankly,
>>> if I had time, I would write a low-level PostgreSQL binding so I could
>>> skip HDBC entirely.
>>
>> I'm not seeing an open issue at
>> https://github.com/jgoerzen/hdbc-postgresql/issues -- did you report it
>> somewhere else?
>
> Along the same lines, I am a volunteer and patches are accepted even more
> happily than bug reports.  It's disheartening to see someone's volunteer
> work reduced to "Bah, it doesn't escape NULLs, so it sucks so much that I'll
> just go write my own."  It would seem to me that contributing your skill to
> fixing issues with existing software would be a better thing than having to
> invent yet another database system.
>
> -- John

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that your work is worthless. What I
meant is that I don't like having so many layers of indirection in my
software: persistent itself is already a high-level wrapper that
abstracts backends. Wrapping another library to do something similar
just means there are now *two* places to check for bugs. In general I
think it would be a good thing to have solid, low-level bindings to
PostgreSQL.

And I reported the bug with a direct email to you I believe, perhaps
it went to your junk mail folder?

I apologize for the implied insult, it was not intended.

Michael