[Haskell-cafe] HDBC, postgresql, bytestrings and embedded NULLs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Jan 7 17:01:55 CET 2011

On 01/07/2011 09:49 AM, John Goerzen wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 05:24 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Iustin Pop<iustin at google.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I had a bug reported in persistent-postgresql that I traced back
>> to this bug. I reported the bug, but never heard a response. Frankly,
>> if I had time, I would write a low-level PostgreSQL binding so I could
>> skip HDBC entirely.
>
> I'm not seeing an open issue at
> https://github.com/jgoerzen/hdbc-postgresql/issues -- did you report it
> somewhere else?

Along the same lines, I am a volunteer and patches are accepted even
more happily than bug reports.  It's disheartening to see someone's
volunteer work reduced to "Bah, it doesn't escape NULLs, so it sucks so
much that I'll just go write my own."  It would seem to me that
contributing your skill to fixing issues with existing software would be
a better thing than having to invent yet another database system.

-- John