[Haskell-cafe] Odd profiling results

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Tue Jan 4 11:30:31 CET 2011

>    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/ddc-heap-usage-20101231.png
>
> We have no particular problem with the 11 peaks (one for each
> source file) but wonder what the hell is going on in the periods
> when the memory usage is flat.

The peaks I am guessing are largely attributable to parsing the source
files.  Then, once the source has been converted to an AST, the DDC
compiler is presumably doing some analysis before moving on to the
next file?  I think these are the well-behaved flat bits.  These
phases do not allocate anything fresh, so they are not creating new
data-structures, but perhaps are propagating static information around
the AST. Something like a type/effect analysis maybe?

Regards,
     Malcolm