[Haskell-cafe] Odd profiling results

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon Jan 3 21:12:35 CET 2011

Hi all,

I do some work on Ben Lippmeier's DDC compiler and when profiling
DDC compiling a program with 11 source code files (much like ghc
--make), we get a memory usage graph like this:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/ddc-heap-usage-20101231.png

We have no particular problem with the 11 peaks (one for each
source file) but wonder what the hell is going on in the periods
when the memory usage is flat.

On a similar run the RTS reports that GC time was less than 10%
of total runtime.

This profiling information was captured on Debian on x86-64 system
where DDC was compiled using ghc-6.12.1 (Debian package).

Clues?

Thanks,
Erik