[Haskell-cafe] Problems with iteratees

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 14:05:56 CET 2011

> From: wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org>
> On 2/2/11 11:25 PM, Maciej Wos wrote:
> > I think the problem is that the iteratee you give to I.convStream
> > always returns Just [something] while you should return Nothing on
> > EOF.
>
> That makes sense for the hanging problem (which I only noticed during
> debugging). Though I still get the the same error message when running
> the whole program...

I don't have too much to add to Maciej and Oleg's reply, except that I'd
recommend looking at the Wave codec over the Tiff reader in those versions
of iteratee.  I don't think that's the only problem, though, because then
you'd be getting a "Divergent iteratee" error.

The "endOfInput" error is suspicious, and I think you'll need to track it
down to solve this problem.  It doesn't appear to be from either iteratee or
protocol-buffers.  Could it be coming from your IO library?  I wonder if the
enumerator is trying to force a read after EOF has been reached for some
reason?

As an experiment, you could try using a custom convStream function like
this:

convStream2 :: Monad m =>  IterateeG s el m (Maybe (s' el')) ->
EnumeratorN s el s' el' m aconvStream2 fi iter = fi >>= check  where
check (Just xs) = lift (runIter iter (Chunk xs)) >>= docase  check
(Nothing) = return iter  docase (Done a _)        = return . return $
a  docase (Cont k Nothing)  = convStream2 fi k

  docase (Cont k (Just "endOfInput")) = convStream2 (return Nothing) k
 docase (Cont _ (Just e)) = return $ throwErr e

This may help determine if it's a problem with IO or with the message
parsing.

John