[Haskell-cafe] Level of Win32 GUI support in the Haskell platform

Steve Horne sh006d3592 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 05:14:26 CET 2011

On 30/12/2011 03:43, Chris Wong wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Steve Horne
> <sh006d3592 at blueyonder.co.uk>  wrote:
>> I've been for functions like GetMessage, TranslateMessage and
>> DispatchMessage in the Haskell Platform Win32 library - the usual message
>> loop stuff - and not finding them. Hoogle says "no results found".
>>
>> Is this level of Win32 GUI coding supported? (other than by dealing with the
>> FFI myself)
> I'd recommend using Gtk2hs (http://haskell.org/gtk2hs). It's well
> supported and your program will work on Mac&  Linux&  BSD to boot.
>
> Trying to grapple with Win32 APIs isn't exactly my idea of fun. :)

I had dismissed GTK  - I assumed getting it set up in Windows would be a
bit painful, and figured I'd stick with whats in the Haskell Platform
for the moment. I'm already familiar (though very rusty) with Win32 from
C - it seemed like an easy if limited option.

But I'll take a look at gtk2hs anyway.

Thanks.