[Haskell-cafe] Level of Win32 GUI support in the Haskell platform

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 05:07:45 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 01:53 +0000, Steve Horne wrote:
> I've been for functions like GetMessage, TranslateMessage and
> DispatchMessage in the Haskell Platform Win32 library - the usual
> message loop stuff - and not finding them. Hoogle says "no results found".

I see them in the Win32 package.

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Win32/2.2.1.0/doc/html/Graphics-Win32-Window.html#v:getMessage

> Alternatively, should I be doing dialog-based coding and leaving Haskell
> to worry about message loops behind the scenes?

Various people recommend the gtk (aka Gtk2Hs) and wx packages for that.
I've never been able to get wx to build, but gtk works fine.  Others
(mostly those using macs) report the opposite.

--
Chris Smith