[Haskell-cafe] Windows: openFile gives permission denied when file in use

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 29 14:12:11 CET 2011

>> gather that Linux does now support real locking though. (And file
>> update notifications, and ACLs, and lots of other things that
>> Windows has had for far longer.)
>
> Hrmm: "Mandatory File Locking For The Linux Operating System, 15 April
> 1996" :)

Have a reference for when it was actually implemented?

I tried to look this up, and got this:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/locking.html

Sounds like it's not so "solved" after all. (Or perhaps the author just
doesn't know enough about it, it's hard to say...) The Wikipedia page on
file locking also points out a list of Unix-related locking problems.
(But again, that might just be editor bias.)

>> I'm just saying it would be nice if Haskell could support
>> more of what these two OSes have to offer.
>
> Totally agreed!

Good, that was my main point. Now, who's volunteering to implement all
this? :-}