[Haskell-cafe] Windows: openFile gives permission denied when file in use

Iustin Pop iustin at google.com
Thu Dec 29 13:28:43 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:20:18PM +0000, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> >>Every time I hear "oh, I don't think Windows can
> >>handle that", I sigh with resignation.
> >
> >Sorry to say, but it seems you yourself are unaware of the "extensive
> >and highly flexible" locking facilities on Linux :) The defaults on
> >Linux are advisory locking, not mandatory, but claiming Linux doesn't
> >support locking is plain wrong.
>
> I would suggest that advisory locking isn't particularly useful.

In my experience (as an application writer) it is very useful; it's just
a different paradigm, not a weaker one. Off-hand I don't remember a case
where having mandatory locking would have improved things.

> gather that Linux does now support real locking though. (And file
> update notifications, and ACLs, and lots of other things that
> Windows has had for far longer.)

Hrmm: "Mandatory File Locking For The Linux Operating System, 15 April
1996" :)

> Either way, I have no interest in starting a Windows vs Linux
> flamewar.

Me neither - I just wanted to point out that your email sounded _too_
eager to blame the current state of affairs on the fact that Linux
doesn't support proper locking. Whereas, the problem is just one of
taking into account platform differences better.

> I'm just saying it would be nice if Haskell could support
> more of what these two OSes have to offer.

Totally agreed!

all the best,
iustin