[Haskell-cafe] MIDI-controlled application

Tim Baumgartner baumgartner.tim at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 28 10:42:51 CET 2011

Hi Tom!

[...]
> > Currently I'm using a monad that combines Parsec (with MIDI event
> stream) and a Writer (that writes commands that should result in IO). It's
> done in a way that during running the monad, many parses can be done and
> failing parses roll back the parser state so that a new parse can be tried.
> >

> Care to share your code?

Yes, great! Have you worked with MIDI in Haskell? Perhaps
parsing/recognizing it? I think it will take a few more days (hopefully not
weeks) until I know what will be the foundation for my app. But then I will
create a project online and send you a message.
In case anybody has time to look at it, I just pasted my aforementioned
monad on hpaste. I thought about it some more and came to the conclusion
that for user-defined "triggers" (aka parsers), this approach is probably
sub optimal...
After Heinrich's suggestion, I worked through the slot machine example from
reactive-banana. It's a great introduction to FRP for me. The declarative
style is very appealing. I will try how it fits with my ideas.

Some of my code (thaugh probably obsolete): http://hpaste.org/55795

Regards
Tim