[Haskell-cafe] If you'd design a Haskell-like language, what would you do different?

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Tue Dec 27 01:54:51 CET 2011

On 27 Dec 2011, at 01:02, Donn Cave wrote:

> Quoth Hans Aberg,
>> For example, I set one entry so that typing x |-> a becomes x ↦ a, the
>> TeX \mapsto, in Unicode ↦ RIGHTWARDS ARROW FROM BAR U+21A6.
>>
>> It might be tedious to make a lot of entries, though, but something to
>> start with.
>
> Something to finish me with, too.  I wouldn't be able to do much
> in a programming world that used glyphs like that.

The symbol I chose is the one normally used in math. You can see it here:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)

>  My vision
> isn't perfect, but I think it's within a fairly normal range,
> and it isn't good enough to decode a lot of hieroglyphics at
> normal font size at reading speed.

Higher resolution displays might help, but larger ones are expected to come the next year.

> The ASCII limit of 100 or so normal characters may be a barrier
> to expression, but it's a boost to comprehension.

Common combinations tend to evolve in symbols. The ASCII combinations are just makeshift.

Hans