[Haskell-cafe] If you'd design a Haskell-like language, what would you do different?

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Tue Dec 27 00:37:21 CET 2011

On 26 Dec 2011, at 23:03, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> > But if you are under Windows, or Mac OS, I cannot tell (as well as I
> > cannot tell if you are under a POSIX system not running xorg, such as
> > the tty1..ttyn consoles)
>
> On OS X one can make ones owns key maps, like with the program on the link below, but it is very time consuming.
>
> System Preferences > Personal > Language & Text > Text > Use symbol and text substitution

Cool. I have a vague memory of seeing it, but not paying much attention to it.

One can turn it on in Xcode 4.2 by Edit -> Format -> Substitutions -> Show Substitutions and click Text Replacement or selecting it directly in the Substitutions menu. This popup windows allows one to apply it a text selection. (And similar in other programs, like Mail.)

For example, I set one entry so that typing x |-> a becomes x ↦ a, the TeX \mapsto, in Unicode ↦ RIGHTWARDS ARROW FROM BAR U+21A6.

It might be tedious to make a lot of entries, though, but something to start with.

Hans