[Haskell-cafe] What happens if you get hit by a bus?

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:37:50 CET 2011

Just like Michael, I've been learning what it means to be a professional
Haskell programmer for a few months.

I think the case of Ruby on Rails and Haskell are very, very, very different.

Ruby on Rails has been around for many years. There are books, tutorials,
examples, websites, etc. Still, there are not as many developers that use
Rails than those that use PHP, or Java, or .NET, or Python (for web
development). But there are many.

This is definitely not the case with Haskell. If you go around the internet,
it's not just that you can't find Haskell programmers with the necessary skills.
You also cannot find people demanding these jobs, servers that support
Haskell for web, or success stories to convince others and yourself that this
is the right platform for this job.

After several months, I just found the first client for which I'll
create a website
using Yesod.

Being a professional Haskell developer requires many skills that have nothing
to do with Haskell. Unless you are born with the talent of having the tax rules
embedded in your head, you'll have to learn them. Maybe the hard way. That is
true for lots of tasks related to social skills, design, management,
negotiation.
such as "how do I know what the client really wants without wasting
hundreds of hours", "how the heck do I show my client what I have in mind"
or "should this button go on the right or on the left and why should I care".

Learning them takes time, and most of us don't learn them unless we actually
need to. It's not that there aren't any people capable of creating
websites using Haskell, or Haskell programmers who could learn to do it.

It's just that not many people know enough, as of this day, to deliver
a professional
product with the results that clients expect.

In my experience, the following help:

 - Have a good portfolio, a list of websites you've created in Haskell
that shows they
have nothing to fear. If you can't find clients, create websites for
free. Sparked.com
may help. You'll know the list is good when there are great jobs that
you choose not
to include in it.

 - Ask your previous clients and those you created websites for to
leave feedback,
acknowledge your work publicly or recommend you on linkedin.

- Make a list of your competitors names and addresses (and put my name
on top of the list ;)
Haskellers.org may help. So can linkedin, guru.com, peopleperhour,
etc. If they ask, tell them
that there are tens of programmers with the necessary experience to go
on if they are not
satisfied with your work. If you want, we can created a group in a
social network just
for this, with the requirement that you must have created an actual
product to be in the group.

The amount of packages in hackage means Nothing to me. It means
nothing to my clients.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Ivan