[Haskell-cafe] What happens if you get hit by a bus?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Dec 16 17:08:32 CET 2011

Michael Litchard <michael at schmong.org> writes:

> One article addresses the question above. His answer was that he uses
> RoR which has a large community and he is therefore easily
> replaceable. My question, for freelancers in general, and web
> developers in particular is this: How do you address this question?

In this particular case, you could argue that more people know PHP and
Python than Ruby, so surely one should avoid Ruby as well.

Managers like to think of their company as a factory, and from this
perspective, it makes sense to build your factory from easily obtainable
parts.  But the factory mindset only works when you want to manufacture
stuff, nobody who takes a minute to actually think will say that you can
replace any programmer with any other, as long as they know the same
programming language or framework.

Anyway, here's something I found interesting in that respect:

  http://www.dachisgroup.com/2011/12/cant-get-no-satisfaction-why-service-companies-cant-keep-their-promises/

(This probably turned out less helpful than I intended, sorry :-)

-k