[Haskell-cafe] Dynamic loading of module

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 22:53:05 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 16:40, Arnaud Bailly <arnaud.oqube at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to help me fix this package stuff. So I wiped
> out my package.conf.d/ and tried to reinstall my stuff. Installing
> template-haskell 2.5.0.0 is ok (2.6 is not, fails to compile on ghc 7.0.3)
> but then:
>
> D:\projets\>ghc --make -package ghc main
>
> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package ghc
>     (use -v for more information)

That'd be expected; you shouldn't simply obliterate package.conf.d, you need
to keep ghc's boot libraries (which include itself as a library).  If the
boot libraries are somehow hosed, you need to reinstall the compiler to get
them back.

Although, I think you were headed there anyway:  template-haskell is a boot
library, since it's very tightly bound to the exact compiler version, so
it's almost always wrong to install it in any way other than as part of
installing GHC itself.