[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: taffybar: an alternative status bar for xmonad

Tristan Ravitch travitch at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Aug 14 23:51:39 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 02:45:24PM -0700, Alexander Dunlap wrote:

> I apologize if I'm missing something obvious here, but when I try to
> run taffybar I get
>
> Launching custom binary /home/alex/.cache/taffybar/taffybar-linux-i386
>
> taffybar-linux-i386: ConnectionError "connectSession:
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is missing or invalid."
>
> Is there some D-BUS configuration that needs to happen before the
> package is usable?

Sorry, I assumed you would have dbus running already.  If you add a
line like:

  eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`

early in your ~/.xsession (if logging in via some graphical login
manager) or ~/.xinitrc (if starting X via startx).  That should work
for any normal -sh-style or -csh-style shell.

That command starts DBus and sets the DBUS_SESSION* environment
variables, and both xmonad and taffybar need to have the same settings
for that variable, so make sure you execute that command before
starting either of them.

I'll add some notes in the documentation about this.