[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: taffybar: an alternative status bar for xmonad

Alexander Dunlap alexander.dunlap at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 23:45:24 CEST 2011

On 13 August 2011 08:56, Tristan Ravitch <travitch at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> I've wanted a slightly fancier status bar than xmobar for a while, so
> I finally made one.  It uses gtk2hs and dbus extensively, so if you
> hate either of those things it probably isn't for you.  Being written
> in gtk, though, it can have more graphical widgets.
>
>  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/taffybar
>
> Current feature highlights:
>
>  * It has a system tray
>  * Generic graph widget for things like CPU/memory
>  * XMonad log over DBus so it can be restarted independently of xmonad
>  * Graphical battery widget
>
> There is still a lot that I want to add but I figured getting some
> feedback early would be handy.  Documentation is currently at
> http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~travitch/taffybar until I figure out how to
> appease Hackage (see the System.Taffybar module).

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious here, but when I try to
run taffybar I get

Launching custom binary /home/alex/.cache/taffybar/taffybar-linux-i386

taffybar-linux-i386: ConnectionError "connectSession:
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is missing or invalid."

Is there some D-BUS configuration that needs to happen before the
package is usable?

Thanks,
Alex