[Haskell-cafe] Declarative configuration languages?

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 03:18:05 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Richard O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> A colleague just asked me
>        I'm trying to kick off some work into middleware for configuration
> of large-scale,
>        distributed systems.  Have you come across any elegant, declarative
> configuration
>        languages used for this sort of job?
>
> I've found a couple of papers, but I've never _used_ any of the systems.
> Any recommendations?

I haven't used any "configuration languages" to develop my own configuration
system.  But I have used a combination of Haskell and JSON to handle
configuration in many applications.  (And I'm currently working on one for
HandbrakeCLI, the video encoding tool)

The general idea is straight forward.  Create configuration data types to
represent the variable run-time data.  Read from JSON/YAML/etc and
deserialize to the internal Haskell representation.  Let the configuration
"runners" interpret the configuration in terms of IO actions calling to
external tools.