[Haskell-cafe] Github support for cabal files

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Aug 8 10:53:44 CEST 2011

On 24.07.2011 13:11, Joris Putcuyps wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:25:53 -0700
> Greg Weber<greg at gregweber.info>  wrote:

>> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hamlet
>>
> The cabal file should be compact, and quite often the
> description field is very lengthy.
> I would like it alot if I could reference a README.??? (pandoc
> compatible extension) from cabal. Then it would be compatible with
> github and give me more information in my haddock html pages which
> were generated by `cabal haddock`.

To this end I sometimes wrote a dummy module containing more
documentation. In the Cabal description file I refer to this module with
a quotation like "Module". This way, I can even organize the
documentation in chapters. I added DEPRECATED pragmas to these modules,
in order to prevent people from importing them.