[Haskell-cafe] A small Darcs anomoly

Radoslav Dorcik radoslav.dorcik at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:03:50 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Presumably David thought the same. I won't deny that there is a certain
> simplifying elegance to it.
>
>>> It does mean that you duplicate information. You have [nearly] the same
>>> set of patches stored twice,
>>
>> No, if on the same machine, the patches only appear once, it is just the
>> index that duplicates some information (I think).  In fact just as if it
>> were a branch in another VCS.
>
> 1. Conceptually, you have the same information twice.
>
> 2. I have no idea how to make Darcs do the thing with "hard links" (is that
> even supported under Windows?) I just copy the whole folder using the normal
> OS file tools.
>
> Either way, you lose the ability to see how branches are related to each
> other, which might be useful in some cases.

http://wiki.darcs.net/Ideas/Branches

I would like to have in-place Darcs branches too but not for wasting
space reason.
It is nice to keep complete history of the project and with current
loose coupling of branches it requires more discipline from me :)