[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Leksah 0.10.0

jutaro jnf at arcor.de
Tue Apr 26 02:00:32 CEST 2011

Daniel Fischer wrote:

> On Friday 22 April 2011 12:40:17, Hamish Mackenzie wrote:
>> Yesterday we uploaded our official 0.10.0 release (0.10.0.4) to Hackage
>
> I'm trying to try it, but I run into a couple of problems.
> Most are probably me looking in the wrong places, so let's begin with
> those.
>
> By default, the editor pane is on the left hand side and the module
> browser
> or whatnot on the right. Very irritating. How do I switch the positions?
> I tried swapping LeftP and RightP in Edit Prefs -> Initial Pane positions,
> but to no avail.

Well, it is a bit more intricate to invert the sides. After
* swapping LeftP and RightP in Edit Prefs -> Initial Pane positions
* Close all panes and pane groups. (You may leave an editor window open,
so that you better see what happens in the next steps).
* Collapse all (Hit Ctrl-1 - 2 times)
* Split vertical (Hit Ctrl-2), put the focus to the left, split horizontal
(Hit Ctrl-3)
* Go to Panes Menu and reopen the Log and the Browser and an editor Window
* Configure tabs as you like
* Save the session or restart Leksah

Daniel Fischer wrote:

> Autocomplete starts at the first letter of any new word, so writing a
> function definition
>
> bar j
>   | j == 0 = whatever
>   | otherwise = somethingElse
>
> requires paying attention and taking some action to not end up with
>
> bar join| j == whatever ...
>
> How do I configure autocompletion to only begin after three or four
> letters
> have been typed?

Go to Edit Prefs -> GUI Options, and select "Complete only on Hotkey", then
hit
Ctrl-Space if you want completion.

Daniel Fischer wrote:

> Decreasing indentation via backspace goes one column per backspace, how
> can
> I configure it to go to the next (previous) tab position on backspace in
> the leading whitespace of a line?

You can't do this currently, but you can post a wish for enhancement to our
issue tracker.

Daniel Fischer wrote:

> Now, those configuration questions out of the way:
> On first startup, I pointed leksah to
> ~/.cabal/packages/hackage.haskell.org
> for sources (hoping it would know to unpack them and copy them to
> ~/.leksah-0.10/packageSources, run haddock on them and what else it
> needs).

Please try to run Leksah with the default config
(~/.leksah-0.10/packageSources)

Daniel Fischer wrote:

> It did indeed copy a bunch of sources there and invoked cabal and ghc a
> number of times, but it left out about half of the installed packages.
> It used an awful lot of memory to do that, peak about 1300MB virtual,
> 800MB
> resident, which means swapping and thrashing (unless I shut down
> practically everything else - I have only 1G of RAM).
> Okay, for collecting metadata on the first startup, I could live with that
> (though, if it handled packages sequentially, it should use less memory).
>
> But on the second startup and the third, although it didn't invoke cabal
> or
> ghc anymore,  the memory usage was about the same, effectively knocking
> out
> my system for more than ten minutes.
> On the third, I had not enough patience and killed it, leksah-server
> showed
> no signs of stopping within two minutes after kill -TERM, so I had to kill
> -KILL it.
>
> What can I do to make leksah a good memory-citizen?
> With the current behaviour, it is unusable for me, unfortunately.

Indeed leksah may use more memory on the first run (actually it is ghc,
which uses it).
But on consecutive starts it may use about/up to 150MB, but not the numbers
you give.
So please try to run Leksah with the default config, and see if the problem
remains.

Jürgen