[Haskell-cafe] Type Classes in Haskell - how can I make GHC make a choice of types, when the type chosen doesn't matter?

Chris Dew cmsdew at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 23:02:11 CEST 2011

Thanks, that link's very relevant to what I'm trying.  For the time
being I'll accept a partial solution where the last two types are now
the same, and try to improve it when my knowledge of Haskell improves.

I really want ("hello" ->> bracket) in ("hello" ->> bracket ->>
putStrLn) to have a type of "String".  Using the partial solution
which Neil Brown proposed, the code will work, but ("hello" ->>
bracket) will have a type of "IO String" which *seems* like it will be
less efficient.

All the best,

Chris.