[Haskell-cafe] HDF5 binding (was: why is ghci trying to load hsc file ??)

mauricio.antunes at gmail.com mauricio.antunes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 04:43:31 CEST 2011

>>> I worked out a small hdf5 binding using cabal and bindings-DSL and
>>> sqlite3 as my example.

>> I just wanted to add that I also started an HDF5 binding recently
>> (using hsc2hs only).  It does more than enough for me ATM, so I don't
>> develop it actively, but if you want to pursue this (and I think
>> it would be a useful addition to Hackage), we may share experience
>> and code.  My binding is part of a bigger project, but I meant to
>> split it out anyway.

> What an interesting coincidence, that makes at least three of
> us. Apparently it's an idea whose time has come.  Mine is also an
> incomplete low-level binding but is currently under semi-active
> development and I aim to make it cover the entire hdf5.h interface.
> If anyone is interested in it I've put it on github at:
>
> https://github.com/mokus0/bindings-hdf5

Bindings to the full hdf5 were supposed to be in the example set for
bindings-DSL. It doesn't use pkg-config, though, and hdf5 developers
didn't like the idea of adding support. I wanted reference bindings-*
libraries to be free of linking problems some users might not be able
to solve or understand, so I gave up.

Best,
Maurício