[Haskell-cafe] Graphics.Drawing

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:14:02 EDT 2010

On 6 September 2010 10:09, han <e at xtendo.org> wrote:
> I think there should be Graphics.Drawing (along with Graphics.Rendering) and
> many graphics packages should go into it.

> So
> * Graphics.Rendering will contain more technical and rendering-engine-level
> packages (OpenGL, GD, ...)
> * while Graphics.Drawing will be for higher-level and user-friendlier
> drawing tools. (gloss, graphics-drawingcombinators, hieroglyph, Chart, ...)
> Currently most graphics packages are thrown into Graphics.Rendering or even
> Graphics. I think we all agree that having a standalone package right under
> Graphics is undesirable.

Why is it undesirable?  Henning Thielmann's gnuplot package for
example uses Graphics.Gnuplot.*.  Whilst we could make that
Graphics.Plotting.Gnuplot.*, the module names are getting a little
unwieldy then.

> There needs to be at least one subcategory. (which
> is why I also think Win32 and X11 should be moved from Graphics to
> Graphics.UI.)
> What do you think?

I fail to see a reason for this (well, I can see why it might be
desirable from an hierarchical point of view, but not how it will help
from a usage point of view since we don't really look for packages
based upon the module hierarchy but rather on package name,
descriptions and categories on Hackage).

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com