[Haskell-cafe] who's in charge?

C. McCann cam at uptoisomorphism.net
Fri Oct 29 13:25:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ben Millwood <haskell at benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
> Besides, I'd think that often what Haskell developers lack is time
> more than skill - there are plenty of tasks that could be done without
> advanced knowledge of deep abstractions, if only someone could put
> aside a few weekends for them. For example, writing low-level FFI
> bindings is almost mechanical (i.e. requires basically no actual
> ingenuity) with the right tools, but it takes time and effort, so
> libraries go unbound.

It's more than just that; when talking about libraries for some
specific task, what matters most is actually the language-agnostic
knowledge of the task itself. Particularly in the case of IO-oriented
libraries with lots of FFI bindings, someone who knows the underlying
C library (or what-have-you) inside and out is probably going to get
the best results from writing a library, even with little knowledge of
Haskell.

- C.