[Haskell-cafe] Edit Hackage

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 21:13:21 EDT 2010

On 29 October 2010 07:53, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2010 22:44:04, Stephen Tetley wrote:
>> On 28 October 2010 20:59, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
>> > "Status of Infrastructure" questions like this are best asked on the
>> > Haskell Reddit.
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> > P.S. I encourage people to use the online forums: Haskell Reddit and
>> > Stack Overflow, as a lot of the question-answering activity has
>> > shifted there now, away from -cafe@
>>
>> Err, Why?
>>
>> Having to track three places for information rather than one doesn't
>> seem like a good swap to me...
>
> + 1

+1; I see no need to sign up for a reddit account to ask a question there, etc.

(and the few times I tried to use my OpenID account to answer
questions on StackOverflow I couldn't quite work out what some of the
options meant, etc.)

IIUC, [one of] the prime motivating factor[s] behind both reddit and
StackOverflow is the accumulation of "karma", which leads to people
posting just to try and accumulate karma even if they don't know what
they're talking about.  Here, we are (hopefully) above such mundane
things.

Another point against reddit: Don posted a link to my survey on the
naming of fgl a few months back.  Someone then queried [1] the two
naming choices that were available on reddit rather than reading the
discussions that had already taken place here on -cafe or bothering to
actually ask _me_.  Similar things go with submitted blog posts:
rather than discussing the content as comments on the blog post, they
discuss them on reddit thus depriving readers of the post itself of
what they think.

[1]: http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/cp50y/should_the_new_graph_library_be_called_fgl_or/c0u6b6n

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic