[Haskell-cafe] Re: Red links in the new haskell theme

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 28 19:33:07 EDT 2010

On 28 October 2010 16:48, Kevin Jardine <kevinjardine at gmail.com> wrote:
> To be fair to the Haddock designer, red links are common these days.
>
> Here's two examples (among many):
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> http://www.slate.com/
>
> In the second case the site uses blue, black *and* red links to
> distinguish different types of content. They are all in bold and
> underline when hovered over so are not hard to distinguish from
> ordinary text.

I don't think two examples of big sites prove good usability. Both of
those sites are jumbled messes anyway. For what it's worth, (1) links
are blue, (2) red means error, (3) search goes on the top right, (4)
login goes on the top right, (5) logo goes on the top left, (6)
breadcrumb goes at the top left above or below the logo, (7) menu goes
on the left or top, (8) basket goes on the right. These are standards,
the fact one big web site decides to go against the standard doesn't
mean you should. What colour are the links your email web client is
using right now? But eh, whatever, no one listens to me on the topic
of design so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.