[Haskell-cafe] Edit Hackage

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 28 15:34:37 EDT 2010

Today I uploaded a package to Hackage, and rediscovered something that
you already know: I'm an idiot.

More specifically, I copied the Cabal description from another package
and then updated all the fields. Except that I forgot to update one. And
now I have a package which I've erroneously placed in completely the
wrong category.

Is there any danger that at some point in the future, it might be
possible to edit a package /after/ it has been released on Hackage?
There are several reasons why you might wish to do this (beyond
realising you did something wrong five minutes after hitting the upload
button): The maintainer might change. The homepage might move. A better
package might come along, making the existing one obsolete. Or you might
want to stick a message on the package saying "hey, this version has a
serious bug, please use the next version up instead!"

(I guess you wouldn't want to actually change the code content of a
package. That leaves the potential for several /different/ variants of
"the same" package floating around, depending on when people installed
it. That would be Bad.)

Is there any danger that we might be able to do these kinds of things
sometime soon?