Who is afraid of arrows, was Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Haskell XML Toolbox Version 9.0.0

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Oct 11 16:16:22 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am Montag, den 11.10.2010, 21:29 +0200 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
> Gregory Crosswhite schrieb:
> > In conclusion, while I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain
> > your reasoning, it still looks to me like there is nothing you have
> > gained by using arrows except adding extra unnecessary complexity in
> > your library.
>
> As a pragmatic question: Would it be possible to split hxt even further
> into hxt (core) and hxt-arrow, and resurrect hxt-filter? This way people
> could choose the way they like to process XML. Or is it too tedious to
> maintain both hxt-arrow and hxt-filter? Is it possible to implement one
> interface in terms of the other one? It seems that the filter interface
> is the more general one, such that the arrow interface may be
> implemented in terms of filters.

without having something to add about arrows to the discussion, a little
side note from your distribution package maintainer: Before you split up
stuff even more into little packages, consider keeping one package but
offering different modules If it is just about offering alternative APIs
(and not really avoiding additional dependencies), this should be
sufficient and is less work for us.

Thanks,
Joachim

--