[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell web development entries on the Wiki

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Oct 3 11:41:48 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Christopher Done
<chrisdone at googlemail.com> wrote:
> So I went through the Applications_and_libraries/Web_programming page
> and pulled out any remaining goodness from it into pages under the
> Web/ umbrella and then set it up as a redirect to Web/
>
> I made an infobox which I put on every Web/ page, which makes it very
> nice for navigating between the sections.
>
> I also added a tiny introduction to the main page.
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Web
>
> I also updated the Practical Web Programming in Haskell tutorial to
> remove irrelevant/out-dated references and links, updated some bits,
> and generally improved the formatting so that it's not just a huge
> chunk of headings and whitespace:
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Web/Literature/Practical_web_programming_in_Haskell
>
> I think on the Web/ page we should have a "hot frameworks" or
> something like that, listing Happstack, Yesod and Snap, preferably
> with their logos. Do you have a logo for Yesod? I'm thinking of just
> tastefully taking the cube.

Well done, it all looks *very* nice. Regarding Yesod: yes, use the
cube for now, I may eventually make a better logo, but that's it for
the moment. The only concern I have is the "practical web programming
in Haskell" page, which frankly isn't very practical. I personally
would put a big fat warning at the top saying most people do not
recommend using straight CGI these days.

One other possibility is putting together a tutorials section
(descending order by date) linking to various blog posts. But I think
you've done an amazing job on cleaning things up and getting it
presentable. A big thank you!

Michael