[Haskell-cafe] Papers discussing interpreters for call by need?

oleg at okmij.org oleg at okmij.org
Thu Nov 18 01:49:54 EST 2010

David Sankel wrote:
> I'm writing an interpreter for a call by need language... Is anyone
> aware of any papers out there that go into detail on the construction
> of an actual interpreter?

You might find the following call-by-need interpreter useful:

	http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/tagless-typed.html#call-by-any

	http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/course/CBAny.hs

(the files also implement interpreters for the other two popular
strategies). The key to call-by-need is the `share' function, whose
more complex instance is described in the paper mentioned here
yesterday:

	http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/monads.html#lazy-sharing-nondet