[Haskell-cafe] Papers discussing interpreters for call by need?

David Sankel camior at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 16:02:02 EST 2010

I'm writing an interpreter for a call by need language and have been doing a
direct implementation of the Launchbury semantics. My problem is that in the
variable rule, an alpha conversion is done that, as far as I understand, is
going to hinder any tail call optimization.

I realize that the intent of Launchbury's paper is to come up with a
theoretical framework for call by need, not to guide an implementation per
say. Is anyone aware of any papers out there that go into detail on the
construction of an actual interpreter?

TIA,

David

--