[Haskell-cafe] Re: Making monadic code more concise

Ling Yang lyang at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:36:17 EST 2010

Thanks Oleg for the feedback. If I understand right, there is a hard (as in
computability) limit for automatic instancing due to the general requirement of
deriving functions off of the behavior of another.

At this point, I wonder: How good are we at doing this? There's languages that
reside in the more expressive corners of the lambda cube, such as Epigram. Some
of the concepts have been translated to Haskell, such as Djinn. Are only
'trivial' results possible, or that the incomputability problems are just moved
into type space?

In any case, it's a good reason to limit the scope of autolifting.