[Haskell-cafe] Re: [web-devel] Google Summer of Code: BlazeHTML RFC

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sun May 30 11:58:25 EDT 2010

I'm a heavy hsp user. Could hsp benefit from this project by using
blaze as a back end instead of whatever it's using now?

IIUC, Hsp uses hsx (via the preprocessor program trhsx) to convert
xml-containing hybrid hsp/xml/html files into compilable haskell.

I expected hsx uses XHTML (which iiuc is what blaze would replace) on
the backend but I don't see it listed in the dependencies at

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hsx-0.7.0

so I guess it doesn't and uses something internal rather than xhtml. (Right?)

My question as regards BlazeHTML is if there could be any performance
win/tie in for the hsp/hsx toolchain.

FWIW, wrt to blaze sclv commented on reddit "The idea is rather that
this would be a replacement for the html combinator library, as
distinct from templating (hamlet, hstringtemplate, bravo, chunks,
press, & co) and as distinct from the *sp model of inlined code (hsp).

Edit: Ideally, and generally for Haskell libs, the choices of
persistence layer, html generation library, dispatch model, and server
layer are largely orthogonal. Strong typing makes any ad-hoc plumbing
a breeze."

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/bxa0a/blazehtml_a_blazingly_fast_html_combinator/

thomas.