[Haskell-cafe] FW: Why does this Ord-class instance crash?

R J rj248842 at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 13:06:51 EDT 2010

Why does the following, trivial  code snippet below hang GHCi when I type"Scalene > Failure", and what's the fix?

data Triangle                  =  Failure                               |  Equilateral                               |  Isosceles                               |  Scalene                               deriving (Eq, Show)
instance Ord Triangle where    Failure     < Failure      = False    Failure     < _            = True
    Equilateral < Failure      = False    Equilateral < Equilateral  = False    Equilateral < _            = True
    Isosceles   < Scalene      = True    Isosceles   < _            = False
    Scalene     < _            = False