[Haskell-cafe] Numerical Analysis

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Tue May 18 00:50:27 EDT 2010

Oh, I agree that it would be really nice to have a way to write high-performance code in pure Haskell --- it would be nice if I didn't have to drop to Fortran anymore just because it makes it easier to write high-performance numeric code!  My only point was that it might not be worthwhile to spend too much time writing routines in Haskell from scratch to implement things like singular value decompositions when there are routines to do this that already exists in LAPACK and are probably superior to something to anything we could roll out ourselves, though on the other hand the act of implementing an SVD algorithm might be useful for giving guidance on the kind of high-level operations that are needed in the library.

Cheers,
Greg