[Haskell-cafe] Numerical Analysis

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon May 17 23:01:51 EDT 2010

On 17/05/2010, at 05:17, Gregory Crosswhite wrote:

> As an aside, while there are advantages to writing numerical analysis routines in Haskell, it might be better strategy to instead link in something like LAPACK and provide nice wrappers to it in Haskell, since this way you can harness the work of the experts who have spent a lot of time perfecting their code rather than re-inventing the wheel.

I don't see think this is an either/or question. A good array library ought to provide BLAS, Lapack, FFTW etc. bindings *and* allow writing high-performance code in pure Haskell. I haven't implemented any of these bindings for vector only because I'm still deciding what to do with multidimensional arrays.

Roman