[Haskell-cafe] Re: tweak vacuum-* output

Gleb Alexeyev gleb.alexeev at gmail.com
Wed May 12 07:11:25 EDT 2010

Ozgur Akgun wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using vacuum-opengl and vacuum-ubigraph to visualise and analyse some
> of my data structures. They are quite helpful most of the time, however
> sometimes I feel the need to tweak the generated output -- such as removing
> the auto-generted identifiers from constrcutor names, pack some things
> together, or similar.
>
> Is there a way to configure their output?
>
> And for the vacuum-ubigraph option, I like it's output generally, however
> while creating the expression tree, is doesn't respect my structures. If
> there is a flag or so to fix this issue, I'd appreciate it. The Problem is
> like the following:
>
> data Expr = Sum Expr Expr | Mult Expr Expr | Single Int
> e = Sum (Single 2) (Mult (Single 3) (Single 4))
>
> And it orients the tree in such a way that Mult looks like the root node,
> instead of Sum, as I would expect.

Hi,
I can answer only about vacuum-ubigraph.
Regarding expression tree: the problem is Ubigraph doesn't know anything
about the tree. It uses physical simulation to determine the optimum
graph layout, the Mult node has the most links attached to it, that's
why it's located at the center of the graph. As far as I can tell from
Ubigraph docs, this cannot be tweaked. Theoretically one can change the
shape of the graph visualization by introducing invisible links and/or
nodes.

And no, there's no way to tweak the vacuum-ubigraph output without
modifying its code.