[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell and scripting

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Sat May 8 01:38:13 EDT 2010

> On the one hand, this is doable with the GHC API.  On the other, that more
> or less means your program contains what amounts to a full copy of GHC.

And the result is that your binary will grow by 35mb, add a few
seconds to launch time, the first expression will take 3 or 4 seconds
to evaluate, and add around 10 seconds to the link time.  After that
it's pretty reasonable though.

I've actually thought of embedding a version of hugs, that should be
smaller and faster, but as soon as you want to use significant amounts
of libraries it gets to be a hassle to keep the source around and it
may not even be hugs compatible anyway.  GHC's big advantage is it can
load the same binary libraries the rest of the program uses.  I don't
know if hugs was really designed to be embedded anyway.