[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: happstack 0.5.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed May 5 09:01:18 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com> wrote:

> On May 4, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
> Hey Jeremy,
>
> I see below that you included the experimental WAI support. I'm excited to
> try it out, but I don't see it in happstack-server (maybe I'm blind). Could
> you point it out?
>

> Hello,
>
> I should have been more explicit about this, sorry about that. The
> experimental WAI support is only available via darcs, in the happstack-wai
> sub-directory.
>
> darcs get http://patch-tag.com/r/mae/happstack
> cd happstack/happstack-wai
>
> You can browse here:
>

> http://www.patch-tag.com/r/mae/happstack/snapshot/current/content/pretty/happstack-wai
>
> The core is mostly there, though it is missing some of the Guards, and the
> FileServe module.
>
> Probably less than a day to "finish" it off I guess. Would be nice to do
> that now that 0.5 is out.
>
> The happstack-wai version would not be a drop-in replacement for
> happstack-server. There are some differences, such as the wai version
> supporting enumerators :) But, porting from happstack-server to
> happstack-wai should not require major changes.
>
> What remains to be seen is if happstack-wai actually provides better
> "performance" than happstack-server.
>
> alas, there is no happstack-wai specific demo at the moment. But, if there
> was, it would look a lot like a normal happstack-server app...
>
> - jeremy

It wouldn't look like a normal WAI app? If you want something like that,
Simon Hengel wrote a nice Hello World for WAI; it's available in the github
repo[1].

As far as performance goes, I can't imagine you'd see any significant
difference without an enumerator-biased test, but I could be wrong. If you
want to try something, I'd suggest outputting the contents of a file
(obviously without the sendfile syscall). If you want help writing a WAI
version, let me know, I'd be interested in the results of a comparison.

Michael

[1] http://github.com/snoyberg/wai/blob/master/README.lhs