[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell and scripting

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 01:52:25 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 00:45 +0200, Limestraël wrote:

> Minh, Kyle, Gwern, the dyre approach seems to be very interesting too.
> But if I understood well, we also have to recompile at run-time the
> configuration haskell script?
> So the final application (Yi, for instance) will need GHC to be
> installed to run? Or did I miss something?
> By the way, I had never heard of Yi, but can I deduce from its name
> its a Vi(m)-like (which I am a big fan of)? Moreover, the idea of
> scripting my editor in Haskell appeals me.

1. Yi is more emacs-like in the internals (i.e. have embedded scripting
language - Haskell - to configure. See emacs goodness on yi haskell wiki
page) but on the skit it can use both emacs and yi style (or anything
you happen to configure it with IIRC).

2. I haven't tried to run it w/out GHC but it recompiles it as it needs
so if there is no change in configuration file and there is compiled
program it just runs it.

3. It sounds better then it is IMHO. Don't get me wrong - Haskell is
wonderful language and in syntax/libraries it suits scripting well.
However GHC do not.

After change of file you have to wait a long time as it compiles and
links with yi. On my system (1 GB of RAM taken by system + 1 GB 'free' +
2 GB swaps, x86-64) it could in some situations it caused OOM. I'd
prefer if the code was interpreted by ghci instead of compiled by GHC in
this case (it should be as fast as most of the code was compiled
anyway).

Regards