[Haskell-cafe] Re: Data Structures GSoC

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 04:08:14 EDT 2010

On 31/03/2010, at 18:14, Achim Schneider wrote:

> We have a lot of useful interfaces (e.g. ListLike, Edison), but they
> don't seem to enjoy wide-spread popularity.

Perhaps that's an indication that we need different interfaces? IMO, huge classes which generalise every useful function we can think of just isn't the right approach. We need small interfaces between containers and algorithms. In fact, the situation is perhaps somewhat similar to C++ where by providing exactly that the STL has been able to replace OO-style collection libraries which never really worked all that well.

Roman