[Haskell-cafe] Data.Graph?

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:23:27 EDT 2010

Sorry for the duplicate email Lee, but I somehow forgot to CC the
mailing list :s

On 31 March 2010 13:12, Lee Pike <leepike at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like it if there were a "Data.Graph" in the base libraries with basic
> graph-theoretic operations.  Is this something that's been discussed?

I'm kinda working on a replacement to Data.Graph that will provide
graph-theoretic operations to a variety of graph types.

> For now, it appears that Graphalyze on Hackage is the most complete library
> for graph analysis; is that right?  (I actually usually just want a pretty
> small subset of its functionality.)

Yay, someone likes my code! :p

I've been thinking about splitting off the algorithms section of
Graphalyze for a while; maybe I should do so now... (though I was
going to merge it into the above mentioned so-far-mainly-vapourware
library...).

There are a few other alternatives:

* FGL has a variety of graph operations (but I ended up
re-implementing a lot of the ones I wanted in Graphalyze because FGL
returns lists of nodes and I wanted the resulting graphs for things
like connected components, etc.).
* The dom-lt library
* GraphSCC
* hgal (which is a really atrocious port of nauty that is extremely
inefficient; I've started work on a replacement)
* astar (which is "generic" for all graph types since you provide
functions on the graph as arguments)

With the exception of FGL, all of these are basically libraries that
implement one particular algorithm/operation.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com