[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: data-category, restricted categories

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Tue Mar 30 18:26:39 EDT 2010

Getting back to the question, whatever happened to empty case
expressions? We should not need bottom to write total functions from
empty types.

Correspondingly, we should have that the map from an empty type to
another given type is unique extensionally, although it may have many
implementations. Wouldn't that make any empty type initial? Of course,
one does need one's isogoggles on to see the uniqueness of the initial
object.

An empty type is remarkably useful, e.g. as the type of free variables
in closed terms, or as the value component of the monadic type of a
server process. If we need bottom to achieve vacuous satisfaction,
something is a touch amiss.

Cheers

Conor