[Haskell-cafe] building "encoding" on Windows?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 29 16:45:49 EDT 2010

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:
> Whooo, boy, I sure don't fancy explaining Msys/MinGW or Cygwin to a
> non-technical person and giving sufficiently detailed
> installation/usage instructions.

I still dislike the idea of needing to install MSYS, MinGW, Cygwin or
similar tools to get anything remotely interesting from Hackage to build
on Windows.

Actually, I've been looking into the feasibility of building precompiled
Windows binaries, Gtk2hs style, for all the "interesting" Haskell
packages that are depended on my a lot of stuff. Currently I'm still
struggling with convincing NSIS to do my diabolical bidding. (Jesus, I
thought NSIS was supposed to make the job *easier*, not harder!) I
haven't even got around to trying to make the awkward packages build so
I can make installers.