[Haskell-cafe] building "encoding" on Windows?

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 29 15:29:50 EDT 2010

Quoting Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley at gmail.com>:

> This is actually due to a missing header file included *by*
> system_encoding.h rather than Cabal not finding system_encoding.h. It
> took to me a while to spot that one! [note to self - always check for
> this in future].
>
> The missing header is <langinfo.h> - where it originates I don't know,
> as I don't have it with either Msys/MinGW or Cygwin and my Cygwin is
> pretty large these days.

Ah, nice catch.

> Generally I'd be advise building with "runhaskell Setup.hs ..." from
> MinGW, the first step of which would be something like:
>
>> runhaskell Setup.hs configure
>> --extra-include-dirs=C:\\msys\\1.0\\home\\stephen\\encoding-0.6.3
>> --extra-lib-dirs=C:\\msys\\1.0\\home\\stephen\\encoding-0.6.3

Whooo, boy, I sure don't fancy explaining Msys/MinGW or Cygwin to a
non-technical person and giving sufficiently detailed
installation/usage instructions.

It looks like langinfo.h is all about detecting the user's locale. I'm
using the encoding library for a task where the encoding is always
specified exactly, so maybe the right thing to do here is figure out
if I can get away with a gutted version of the library that doesn't
need system_encoding.h, and if so, add a build flag that can disable it.

In any case, thanks for the pointers!
~d