[Haskell-cafe] Re: Are there any female Haskellers?

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Sun Mar 28 13:14:11 EDT 2010

Am 28.03.10 18:51, schrieb Christopher Lane Hinson:

>>> It was probably also uncool to call out a specific woman by name,
>>> who did not volunteer for this.
>>>
>> Do suggest I did so? I don't recall mentioning anyone by name.
>
> No, you didn't.  That was someone else.
>
>> "I like haskell, am interested in it, appreciate being in contact
>> with people who do"
>
> That's the haskell community pledge of allegiance, right there.
> Congratulations, you wrote it!

Oh dear .... what was I getting myself into when I subscribed :)

>> One thing I do notice, one starts with a harmless question and it out
>> of the blue it suddenly becomes political. In both ways. Is there
>> really a need for this?
>
> Yes, because what may be a harmless abstract question to you may
> directly affect someone else's day-to-day life.  Try to learn from
> people in these situations, even if you are frustrated by them.

This is definately a point where we will continue to disagree. I found
myself assuming that there are no female haskellers and wanted to verify
it by asking for data. At such a point, while the facts where not even
yet established I had not even thought about interpretations, cause or
implications, I started from scratch. I am not a scientist but believe
that this approach broadly qualified as a scientific one. Well yes I
know that science is not popular with everyone.

So I continue to think that some responses where "disproportionate", a
point to think about in itself.

Best regards

Günther